The Real New "DO"


These are "REAL" friends

Wigs

Wigs
Maddie having a little fun!!

Sunday, August 21, 2011

Chemotherapy is DONE!!

Lord willing, I had my last chemotherapy on Wednesday of last week.  Many of you already know that and have celebrated with me.  HIP!! HIP!!  HOORAY!!  I just wanted to give you an update of things and calendar of when things are scheduled.  This week is full of doctor appointments:  plastic surgeon for lots more details on surgery; cardiologist to make sure my heart handled chemo well and will handle surgery well; another visit with the oncologist (without the chemo); and blood work/pre-op stuff in preparation for surgery.  The surgery is scheduled for Friday, September 2 at Memorial City Memorial Herrmann Hospital.  I have to check in at 6:00 AM with surgery to start at 8:00.  The breast surgeon has told me that her part of the surgery will take approximately 2 hours.  The plastic surgeon is doing what is called a DIEP flap reconstruction.  He will make a cut from hip to hip and remove the area below the waist to use for reconstructing the breasts (in essence, a tummy tuck - a good part to all of this).  He then has to re-tie all the blood vessels together for the new breasts - this, apparently, is a very tedious and difficult process.  The reconstruction part of the surgery will take anywhere from 8-12 hours, depending on how my blood vessels respond.  We, again, are praying believing they will all work well.  After surgery, I will be admitted into ICU for 24 hours or more.  The reason for that is the nurses have to check on me every hour to make sure the blood flow is working correctly.  In ICU, there is a one-to-one patient/nurse ratio (or at least a lower ratio).  The plastic surgeon told me I would be in the hospital for 3-7 days.  I won't know for sure what to expect at home until I have further discussion with the plastic surgeon this week.  I will try to post one more time before surgery.  My care calendar is back up for those of you who would like to help in those areas.  Please continue to pray that the pathology comes back indicating that the cancer is gone.  Thank you for your love and concern for my family through all of this.  It would be much more difficult without incredible friends like each of you.

1 comment:

  1. Julie-You have been on my mind so often. We are praying for you and your family. We love yall! love, carrie hoover

    ReplyDelete