The Real New "DO"


These are "REAL" friends

Wigs

Wigs
Maddie having a little fun!!

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

3 treatments left!!

We returned home on Sunday from a fabulous week at Pine Cove Family Camp (ending Saturday) and dropping off our girls at Pine Cove youth camp on Sunday.  Family camp was incredible to say the least - we really love doing that together.  We would love to visit with any of you who have ever considered family camp and share our DVD with you to show you how much fun we have.  Some of the highlights are:  breakfast trail ride (just the adults) followed by a wonderful breakfast (including bacon soaked in maple syrup - YUMM!!); trail ride with Maddie for the first time (she is finally 10 and old enough to ride the BIG horses); ziplining; breathtaker (also known as the superman) for all of us including me :); father/daughter dance lesson; water rocketing (girls with their cabin groups); lots of swimming; cattle roundup (for Dad - he loves doing this - you actually round up and herd cattle a couple of different times); and better than all of that is just getting to know our family devo counselor, and many other counselors associated with all the different things we do throughout the week.  Our family devo counselor, BAMA (full camp name is A-Bama Whama - got the name because she goes to Auburn but cheers for Alabama b/c that is her home town), was the best - we absolutely LOVED getting to kow her.  We also get to see the same (for the most part) wonderful families each year and that is an added Bonus as well!!  We highly recommend family camp at Pine Cove - just ask us about it - any and all of us love to talk about it!
As far as the medical side of things, I was able to have a chemotherapy treatment in Tyler during family camp and that was a huge blessing.  The doctor that I met with was awesome - she has written a book, SEEDS, that I would recommend to anyone about her journey from growing up in Yugoslavia and coming ultimately to the U.S.  Very easy read and amazing stuff she endured during the journey.  I went to my treatment again this morning - so that leaves me only three chemotherapy treatments to have.  My last treatment is scheduled for August 17th.  YIPPEE!!  The new way you can pray for me now is preparing mentally and emotionally for the surgery that will be the week of August 29th (or so it seems as of today).  I am beginning to be more nervous and worried and am working feverishly to turn it over to God and leave it at His feet.  I just haven't reached that level yet.  I will have a double mastectomy and reconstruction (assuming there is no cancer in the lymph nodes that they will remove) on the same day.  The surgery will be approximately 10-15 hours.  I will have 4 drains (one for each breast and one at each hip for the flap incision for reconstruction).  I realize I am not the first one to have this kind of surgery done and taking comfort in that.  My God is able to carry me through this part of the journey as He has all the other parts. 
Thank you for your continued prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment