The Real New "DO"


These are "REAL" friends

Wigs

Wigs
Maddie having a little fun!!

Thursday, October 27, 2011

9 days later

Okay - I must admit - I was fully expecting to have little or no recovery with the 2nd surgery.  Any of  you who have seen me since last Tuesday afternoon (surgery) know that I am very disappointed.  My expectations were unrealistic and I am having a hard time swallowing my recovery being slower than I'd hoped.  The plastic surgeon did his revision of my reconstruction which took about 2 hours (he had to give me 2 drains again) and the gynecologist did a full hysterectomy (ovaries, fallopian tubes, and uterus), which took about an hour.  I came home Wednesday evening after waiting all day for my plastic surgeon to come by.  Finally at about 3, the nurse called his office.  He said I could go ahead and go home, because he wouldn't be able to make it by.  Really??? Couldn't have told me a little sooner???  Oh well.
Once home, I began the recovery process.  It was once again hard to stand and sit (just not as hard as after the first surgery), hard to find a comfortable position to sleep, and just all around to move.  O JOY!  I went happily to my 8th grade daughter's band concert Thursday night - it was very painful but well worth it.  On Friday, the plastic surgeon's nurse was able to take out the drains which definitely added to a better  night's sleep.
Today is Thursday and it has been 9 days since surgery.  I saw the plastic surgeon on Tuesday.  He gave me a few options.  I could be completely done with the reconstruction or there are a few more things I could do (I guess plastic docs are never fully satisfied).  Since one of those options would include another surgery, I told him I am just not ready for that again.  Just say NO to surgery.  He assured me this particular surgery would be a day surgery, but I still said not right now.
After leaving his office, I stepped across the hall where my gynecologist's office is located.  I wanted to see if I could ask the nurses a quick question about some swelling I noticed.  Fortunately, another patient had cancelled and they were able to get me in to see the doctor (I didn't think it was necessary, but nevertheless...).  He quickly let me know that everything looked just like it was supposed to.  He also told me that he had gotten the pathology on my ovaries and they were cancer-free.  YEAH God!!
Now it is time to just give my body time to completely heal.  There is still quite a bit of swelling that may take as long as 3 months to resolve itself.  As far as inside, my lower abdominal organs are looking for a new home.  The rest of my torso is just trying to adjust to my new "normal".  I think it may take a while, so pray for patience for me.  I am ready to exercise again, drive again, and just overall, have a normal life again.  I can never thank you enough for your meals, rides, encouraging words, and most of all, your prayers.  God is good, all the time!

No comments:

Post a Comment