The Real New "DO"


These are "REAL" friends

Wigs

Wigs
Maddie having a little fun!!

Friday, May 6, 2011

2nd Opinion

Many of you have suggested to me that it might be in my best interest to get a 2nd opinion.  Not because I don't trust my current oncologist, but more because it would be even more peace of mind that I am undergoing the correct treatment.  I decided that it was a good idea, so, this last Monday, I went in to meet with Dr. Frankie Holmes.  I had her name given to me by other breast cancer survivors as well as other friends.  My records had all been sent to her so she would be able to communicate better with me about my particular situation.  Many things came from this appointment, and because of those things, Brian and I have some praying and decisions to make.  It is a bit of a long story, but here is basically how the appointment went:
Dr. Holmes had me tell her my story from start to date.  As I talked to her, she made notes on my chart.  She was looking through the records sent over by my current oncologist and asked me about when I go in to be checked after each treatment.  When I mentioned to her that I don't go in for a check-up after each treatment, she didn't really understand.  It appears that in my chart, my current dr. sent over notes that after my last chemo on April 18th, she checked my eyes, heart, lungs, abdomen, and feet.  Unfortunately, none of that is true.  Aside from my very first visit with my current oncologist, when she checked the tumor, she has never checked me again.  When Dr. Holmes asked me if my dr. had checked my tumor after each treatment, I had to tell her no.  Dr. Holmes was alarmed by this news.  She let me know that a full check-up after each chemotherapy treatment is standard care for a cancer patient.  I had no idea.  Dr. Holmes also said something else that stuck with me.  She told me that when I come into her office and I have a tumor, it becomes her tumor.  She doesn't sleep well until that tumor is gone from my body.  That really meant a lot to me.  As we continued going through my chart, she began to discuss the pathology of my tumor with me.  She explained that every tumor is given a grade.  She compared grade 1 tumors to Gomer Pyle (she had to make sure I knew who that was), grade 2 tumors to G.I. Joe, and grade 3 tumors to Osama Bin Laden (the late).  My tumor is a grade 1, which is good news.  She explained that Triple Negative tumors (like mine) are not typically grade 1 tumors.  She also told me that the pathologists study the tumor to see the rate at which the cells divide.  My tumor (triple negative) has a low rate of division which is typical of Grade 1 tumors but not typical of triple negative tumors.  She told me that some triple negative tumors, upon further testing, prove to be five negative tumors and those are actually better than triple negative ones.  She thinks my tumor could possibly be a five negative.  That was all great information.  She concured with my current treatments and upcoming treatments and surgery.  That was also good news.  She referred to my team of doctors and how they communicate.  Unfortunately, even though I have several doctors now, I don't think any of them are communicating with each other much.  Dr. Holmes let me know that after every visit with her, she would then send all information to each of my doctors so they can all be up to date with my care.  She then checked my from head to toe, measured my tumor, and documented all information in my chart she felt was necessary.  I really liked her.  She gave me (us) some serious things to consider about the current level of care I am receiving.  After my next treatment next Monday (the last of the heavy duty treatments and the first half of my treatments), Brian and I will decide what is in my best interest as far as doctors is concerned.  Please pray for us to use discernment and follow God's will.  Pray away my nausea that inevitably will come next Monday and throughout next week.  I covet your prayers for a speedy recovery next week.  Thank you each and every one!

2 comments:

  1. Well, you know my opinion...it is a 'no brainer' to switch to Doc Holmes! However, I know that is easier said than done.
    I am glad you went for a 2nd opinion! I will pray for clarity.
    Looking forward to 'driving the chariot' on Monday!
    Love,LB

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julie, Dr. Holmes is by far one of the best breast cancer doctors there is out there. I would have recommended her to you, but you already had your doctor in place before I knew about your cancer. Wish I had anyway ... So many people from Tallowood have been to her - Cara S comes to mind. She is in the same on ology group that my doctor is in. I sat beside many of her patients in the chemotherapy room and they all love her. I will be praying as you prepare yourself for Monday and as you make it through. I know it will be great to get through this first stage of treatment!

    ReplyDelete