The Real New "DO"


These are "REAL" friends

Wigs

Wigs
Maddie having a little fun!!

Monday, April 4, 2011

What A Week!!

Okay, Okay - I admit I had hoped this second week of treatment would be a bit easier than the first. "How can she be so naive?" you may be asking yourself.  My thoughts were that since the first treatment carried so much anxiety with it because I didn't know how my body would react, I thought maybe since I knew how my body would act for the second treatment, it would be "easier".  NOT!!  Day 1 is the worst for me.  Not only do I have to sit for 6 1/2 - 7 hours while these extremely intense chemicals are being shot into my body, but by about 5 pm, I am totally incapacitated.  By that, I mean I am nauseated beyond belief.  Considering the fact that I take one nausea drug in the morning before treatment and another is in one of my IV bags, you would think that would be better.  At 6 pm, on the night of treatment, I take two more drugs for nausea/vomiting, and by that time, the drugs don't help at all.  I was nauseated to the point of feeling like if I moved even an inch or took too deep of a breath, I was definitely going to be sick.  YIKES!  To me, there is nothing worse.  So on that first night, I put myself to bed by a little after 7 and just didn't move again until my 2 AM doses of more nausea drugs.  I can't imagine how awful it would be without all of those drugs trying to keep me from being sick.  WHEW!  Let's just not go there!  On Day 2, Tuesday, I felt 110% better.  The only exciting event from Tuesday was the shot I have to get in my stomach.  Fun??  Not so much!!  The rest of the week was okay.  By that I mean, I just wasn't myself.  I couldn't focus for very long on any one thing.  That makes for long days. I was able to take some naps and that was a blessing!!   My Mom was here and was immensely helpful.  When I asked her to do some cleaning for me, she jumped in and did a fantastic job.  Having her here was a huge help; I just wish I could have been more of a conversationalist during those first days of treatment and recovery.  By the weekend, I was feeling more "normal", but still not 100%.  On Friday, one of my good friends, LB, came by with a proposition.  She had come across 4 tickets to the Final Four for tonight (Monday), and since her sweet husband is going to be at a conference, he can't attend.  She wanted to know if I wanted to go.   WOW!!  What an exciting time it is sure to be (because, of course, I agreed to go after she twisted my arm - wink!wink!).  She suggested I paint my bald head the colors to look like a basketball so we could get on TV.  I'm not volunteering for that - my kids would DIE!!!  Hopefully, I can blog tomorrow as far as how much fun we had and not make you feel too bad that you don't have a friend just like my LB!!

5 comments:

  1. Hope you all have great fun. I feeling the tummy upsets.. they were the worst ever. We love you. Still Praying for you each day. Love Pattie and Barry

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a great time! What a great friend Laura is! I will be looking for the basketball in the crowd!!
    Love & Blessings, Jim

    PS: Sarah may be spending the night with your brothers family when in Kenya on the way to the Sudan!! How small is this world?!?!?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, you didn't paint your head, but you did yank your wig off, to the shock of all the men sitting around us! I think the oh-so-drunk man sitting next to me is still in shock!! Funniest moment ever!!!!
    And my kids shared a funnel cake with you--something I never, ever let them eat. I'd say it was a great night (all except for our new fav team, Butler Bulldogs who just couldn't seem to find the hoop in the 2nd half) Oh, and don't forget our ride on the rickshaw bike taxi!
    Good times!! One Shining Moment I won't soon forget...

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK Julie, that is really the funniest thing...yanking your wig off to the shock of all the men sitting around y'all. Hope you had a great time!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. one day at a time, one treatment at a time--keep up the good work! Praying-- Jana

    ReplyDelete