The Real New "DO"


These are "REAL" friends

Wigs

Wigs
Maddie having a little fun!!

Monday, March 21, 2011

More News!!!

To those of you who are checking regularly and see that I haven't been "blogging", I apologize.  The good news is that I have been doing so well, there is nothing to report.  I didn't really think that you care to know when I plant flowers or go shopping with my girls.  I can bore you with all those details if you really want to  know.  Today, however, I received more news about my blood work from 3 weeks ago.  I found out today that I DO have a genetic mutation for breast cancer.  What that means is that when it is time for me to have surgery, I will have a double masectomy, a hysterectomy, and reconstruction.  I asked Dr. Naqvi how long I would have to wait between surgeries, and she said I wouldn't have to wait at all.  I will have 3 surgeons (one for each type of surgery) and the surgery will last 14 hours or so.  I don't know much more than that right now.  I can tell you that it wasn't as hard to hear as I thought, because I figured if I tested negative for the mutation, I would always wonder if the cancer would come back anyway if they didn't take all of those "body parts".  I am really okay with this news thanks only to God's grace.  I refuse to even think about what recovery might be from that kind of surgery.  That is for another day and another dose of grace.
On a much lighter note, my head has been getting much lighter as of these last few days.  What I mean by that is, my hair is definitely falling out.  My sweet husband has cleaned out the shower drain for the last two mornings, so that I wouldn't have to deal with it.  What a blessing!!  So I took 3 friends with me today to pick up my new wig.  I'm sorry to disappoint those of you who thought I should go with the red.  I really like the one I got!  I received high praise from each friend who assured me it looked great!!  I prayed that I would really like it and I do.  Now I just need to have my hair dresser here to cut off what's left of my "other" hair.  I'm ready for it and all the mess to go.  Most likely the next time you see me, I will have my new "do".  Please continue to pray for my doctors, myself and my family.  My next treatment is next Monday, March 28.  My mom is coming in this Thursday and will be able to stay with us until next Thursday.  We are very excited to have her.

4 comments:

  1. Julie,

    You are so courageous and an inspiration to me. I continue to pray for you and family daily. Your post above brought the following to mind:

    In nothing be anxious, but in everything, by prayer and petition with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your thoughts in Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:6-7

    Blessings and Love,
    Jim >

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE the wig selection! Your friends helped make a terrific selection.
    So glad your mom can come and be with you this next week. You are indeed correct about the gene mutation marker - you are not left to wonder. Now, one day at the time.

    But those who wait on the Lord shall renew their strength, they shall mount up with wings like eagles, they shall run and not be weary, they shall walk and not faint. Isaiah 40:31

    Prayerfully,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you are taking things one day at a time. Good for you! Good to hear you are feeling well. Praying! Jana

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE THE WIG!! It looks awesome. I think Maddie needs the one she posed for too!

    So glad to hear you have continued to feel well and are at peace with your latest news. I agree you are an inspiration in how you are dealing with this and your faith in the Lord!

    My favorite:
    Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him and he will make straight your paths.

    Always in our prayers! Stephanie

    ReplyDelete